MENUS AND THEIR USES
COMPANY INFOWhen we Start Tally Through the path, Start -> Programs ->Tally.ERP 9, we get ‘Company Info’ as the first display. Under this we use the following options:
1. Select CompanyBring the Cursor to ‘Select Company’ and press
2. Create CompanyPress ‘C’ to activate this option. A new display will be opened where we create our Company
3. Shut a CompanyActive Company can be closed without closing Tally, by clicking the button ‘F1:ShutCmp’ or by pressing [Alt] + F1.
4. Alter a Company· Gateway of Tally · Click CMP INFO (F3) · Alter
5. Delete a companyA Company may be deleted by selecting it, through Gateway of Tally-->F3: Company Info or (Alt+F3) Alter->Select the Company-->Press Alt+D. The selected Company will be deleted. Once a company was deleted, we should remember, it cannot be reversed and the company would be permanently deleted.
6. BackupThough a Computer is fast and perfect in its workings, it is not reliable in securing the data. So, we should always be extra cautious in taking suitable Back-ups. Tally provides us the facility to take a backup of our Company data through this option.
7. RestoreThis option is useful in restoring our data from the Back up Storage, if the current data is corrupted, etc.
GATEWAY OF TALLYThe First display, we get after entering into our Company is “Gateway of Tally”. Here, we get the following options:
1. Accounts InfoMaster creations like Groups, Ledgers, Scenarios, and Voucher Types are created under ‘Accounts Info’.
2. Inventory InfoCreations of Stock Groups, Stock Items, Godowns, Voucher Types, Units of Measure, etc. can be made with ‘Inventory Info’.
3. Import MastersImport of Masters from the old Tally versions are done here.
4. ReportsFinal Reports like Trial Balance, Stock Summary, and Final Accounts are seen under Reports. Trial Accounts, Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss A/c, Cash Flow, Fund Flow Analysis, etc are displayed under this option. Click ‘F12:Configure’ Button, to customize Final A/c Menu. Through Multi-Account Printing, we can take multiple print outs of Account Books, Inventory Books, Day Book, etc.
5. DisplayIt is one of the important options in ‘Gateway of Tally’. Activate ‘Display’ by pressing ‘D’ letter. ‘Display Menu’ will be displayed now.
TRIAL BALANCETrial Balance is a permanent menu under Display Menu showing ‘all assets and expenses and losses’ on the debit side and ‘all liabilities and incomes’ on the credit side. Durations can be fixed by pressing ‘F2: Period’ to Trial Balance or to any other report or ledger.
1. Cash / Bank Book(s)Cash Transactions and Bank Transactions may be viewed by using Cash/Bank Book(s) option
2. LedgersAll Ledgers are opened for display including Cash and Bank Ledgers under this option. Ledger is an important option under ‘Account Books’.
3. Group SummaryAll Groups are summarised under this option. Under ‘Group’ all ledgers are listed.
4. Group VouchersVouchers under a Group are displayed under Group Voucher.
5. Sales RegisterAll Credit Sales particulars are shown here. Cash sales are not shown. In other words, the details of Debtors are available in Sales Register.
6. Purchase RegisterSimilarly, all credit purchases or creditors details are displayed.
7. Journal RegisterUnder Journal Register, particulars related to Journals, Debit Notes, Credit Notes, etc. are available.
STATEMENTS OF ACCOUNTS
1. Cost CentresWe get the particulars relating to different Cost Centres like Category Summary, Cost Centre Break-up, Ledger Break-up, Group Break-up etc.,
2. OutstandingsDetails of Bills outstandings under different heads such as Receivables, Payables, Ledger wise and Group wise are available under outstandings.
3. StatisticsStatistics relating to different ‘Types of Voucher’ and ‘Types of Accounts’ are shown under ‘Statistics’ option.
1. Stock ItemThe particulars of a stock item like Inwards, Outwards and Closing Balance are shown here.
2. Group SummarySummary of items under a Group is available under Group summary.
3. Movement AnalysisUnder Movement analysis, we view the Inward/Outward movement of Groups, Categories and Items; and also Purchases and Sales under a Group, Ledger, etc.
4. Ageing AnalysisStocks should not be generally kept in the Godown for a long period. It is better to dispose off them quickly. To know the duration of the stock, to know the age of the stock, Ageing Analysis is useful. Apart from the above, Stock Journals, Physical Stock showing Register, Sales Orders Book showing Sales Orders received, Purchase Order Book showing Purchase Orders received also available.
STATEMENT OF INVENTORY
1. GodownsGodown wise details of Quantity, Rate, Total Value, Inwards, Outwards, Closing Balance of an item are available here.
2. CategoriesSimilarly, Category wise details like Quantity, Rate, Value, Inwards, Outwards, Closing Balance are shown here.
3. Stock QueryIt is useful to get all types of particulars of an item in one display. Other than these, the options like Sales Order Summary, Purchase Order Summary, Purchase Bills pending, Sales Bills pending, etc., are also available to explore the Inventory Statements.
DAY BOOKDay book is the place where all posted Vouchers can be seen. By default, the vouchers related to current date, are shown. By pressing F2, we can change the duration and view the transactions. By pressing Enter, we can further open the Voucher format. For checking the Vouchers posted or for altering them, Day Book is useful.
Deleting a Ledger/Voucher1. Enter into GATEWAY OF TALLY. 2. Select ACCOUNTS INFO --> LEDGER A/CS 3. Select ALTER. 4. Select your LEDGER. 5. Press Alt+D and give yes. 6. Similarly, display the voucher to be deleted and press Alt+D.
Cancelling a Voucher1. Enter Day Book 2. Select the voucher to be cancelled by using arrow keys. 3. Press Alt+X; Say ‘Yes’.
Duplication of Voucher1. Enter Day Book 2. Select the voucher to be duplicated. 3. Press Alt+2. 4. Change the date, if necessary. 5. Accept.
Inserting and Adding a Voucher1. Bring the cursor to the voucher before/after which the new voucher is to be included. 2. Press Alt+I (to insert the voucher before the chosen voucher). 3. Press Alt+A (to insert the voucher after the chosen voucher).
Creating/Altering Voucher TypeExisting Voucher Types may be altered or new Voucher type be created to suit our requirements using Gate way of TALLY -->ACCOUNTS INFO -->VOHCHER TYPES --> Create/Alter.
Common Narration/Individual NarrationCommon Narration is for the whole entry and individual narration for each debit/credit aspects. (Use Voucher type alteration)
Effective DateIf the ‘transaction date’ and the ‘voucher posting date’ are different, we can give the transaction date under ‘Effective date ‘. (Gate way of Tally --> Accounts Info à Voucher Types --> Alter -->Give ‘yes’ to Effective Date )
List of AccountsList of Accounts’ shows the Groups, Sub-Groups, Ledger Names which are available in our Company in an orderly manner. Any particular Group or Ledger may be selected and altered in this option. In the Button Panel, new buttons like Groups, Ledgers, Cost Category, Cost Centres, Budgets & Scenarios, Godowns, Stock Groups, Stock Items, Stock Categories, Currencies, Units, Voucher Types etc., are shown. Click the particular button and view the related details.
Exception ReportsUnder the head ‘Negative Stock’, it shows the negative stock position in our Company. Negative Ledgers show the Negative nature of the Ledgers. For example, a Ledger having natural Debit Balance, showing Credit Balance. Pending bills from our Debtors appear under Overdue Receivables and pending bills to our Creditors are coming under Overdue Payables. Memorandum Vouchers, Reversing Journals, Optional Vouchers and Post-Dated Vouchers are viewed in the respective menus.
FEATURES (F11)Click ‘F11: Features’ button or press F11 to display Features screen containing several Modules which can be activated whenever necessary. Type ‘Yes’ for activating the features and ‘No’ for deactivating them. Both accounting and Inventory Features Several important features are available like ‘Integrate Accounts and Inventory’, ‘Allow MultiCurrency’, ‘Allow invoicing’, ‘Maintain Budgets and Controls’, ‘Allow Purchase Order Processing’, ‘Allow Sales Order Processing’, etc., under General Features.
Accounting FeaturesPure Accounting Features are here viz., ‘Maintain Bill wise details’, ‘Maintain Cost Centres’, ‘Use Debit/Credit notes’, ‘Activate Interest Calculations’, etc
Inventory FeaturesFeatures affecting only the Inventory Management are listed here viz. ‘Maintain Stock Categories’, ‘Maintain Multiple Godowns’, etc.,
CONFIGURATIONConfiguration can be activated by clicking ‘F12: Configure’ button or by pressing F12 key. Configuration determines how our books and Reports should appear. We can configure the display to our taste and requirement. We can customise the details either by selecting from different options or by saying Yes or No.
GENERALUnder General, the options available are ‘Country Details’, ‘Style of names’, ‘Style of Dates’, ‘Configuration of Numbers’ and ‘Other Options’.
Country Details: Select the country as ‘India / Asia’.
Style of Dates: Select the date-style as ‘DD-MM-YY’.
Separator used in short Date: ‘-‘ or ‘.’ may be selected here
Put sign before Currency / Unit Symbols? : Select the choice ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.
Show numbers in Million (and not Lakhs)? : Insert ‘No’ to view the numbers in lakhs. Show Monthly reports with Graphs? : Select ‘Yes’ to activate ‘Graphical show’ for the ledgers.
Use Separate Menu for Final A/c Stmts: If it is set to ‘YES’, ‘Final Accounts’ menu will appear under Gateway of Tally. If it is ‘NO’, Profit and Loss a/c and Balance Sheet are directly displayed on Gateway of Tally.
NUMERIC SYMBOLSNumeric Symbols can be configured by changing the signs. Underscore is used to denote a space.
ACCTS/INV INFOMaster Configuration can be made using ‘Accts / Inv info’. When ledgers are created, what fields should appear can be configured by typing ‘Yes or No’ against the items. Give ‘Yes’ against ‘Allow ALIASES along with Names’, if ‘Alias’ field should appear when the Ledger is created. To enter addresses of the parties, set ‘Yes’ against ‘Use ADDRESSES for Ledger Accounts?’. Similarly configure for ‘Inventory Masters’ also.
VOUCHER ENTRYVoucher Entry displays can be configured here.
Show Ledger Current balances?When entries are posted, to see the final balances of Ledger Accounts, set this line to ‘Yes’. Use Payment / Receipt as Contra?
Cash deposits into Bank and Cash withdrawals from Bank are posted normally under ‘Contra’
Voucher type. If we set ‘Yes’ to this option ‘Payment / Receipt’ Voucher Types may also be used. Use Cr/Dr instead of To/By during entry?
While voucher posting, some may desire to have Cr and Dr as prefix to ledger names, some others may like To/By. Set this as ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ accordingly.
Warn on Negative Stock Balance?Type ‘Yes’ to show warning message when stock position is negative.
Invoice/Orders EntryTo configure ‘Invoice/orders Entry’, activate it and make necessary settings under ‘Configure Invoices / Delivery Notes / Orders’, ‘Exporters’ options and ‘other options’.
PrintingVarious Printing configurations can be made under ‘Printing’ option.
GeneralSet ‘Yes’ under ‘Print Date and Time of Report’ to show the current date and time in all Reports when printed.
If we type ‘Yes’ under ‘Stop printing Vertical Lines/Borders?’ faster printings can be made in Dot-Matrix printers.
Set the Top Margin as 0.25 inches, 0.50 inches etc., as you like under ‘Standard Space on Top of Pages (inches)?.
To make the printing faster set ‘Yes’ under the heading ‘Settings for Quick Format’.